Paneer Butter Masala
This is a rich vegan recipe made with Indian cheese (Paneer), tomatoes, peas and yogurt. It can be served over rice or with Naan or Roti. You can substitute heavy cream for the yogurt for a richer gravy. Along with the peas you can use carrots, potatoes, cauliflower or brocolli.
For 4 Person(s)
- 12 oz Paneer (cubed)
- 4 Tbsps Peanut Oil, seperated
- 2 14.5 oz cans Diced Tomatoes
- 2 each Green Chilies
- 3/4 inch Ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsps Cashews, raw
- 2 tsps Cumin Seed
- 2 Tbsps Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 4 each Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup Yogurt, whipped
- 2 tsps Corn Starch
- 1 cup Frozen Green Peas, thawed
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 3 Tbsps Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp Methi
Paneer Butter Masala Directions
- Pan fry the paneer in 2 Tbsps of peanut oil on low-medium heat until the cubes are golden on each side. Set aside.
- In a blender puree the tomatoes with juice, green chilies, ginger, garlic and cashews. Set the tomato puree aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsps of peanut oil to medium-high. Once heated, toss in a few cumin seeds. When the seed pop the oil is ready. Add the remaining cumin seeds. Once the seeds have cracked turn the heat down to medium and add the tomato puree, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, and bay leaf. Cook until the mixture reduced by half.
- Add the whipped yogurt and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Dissolve the corn starch in 3 Tbsps of cool water and add to the mixture.
- Add the peas and paneer and cook until the peas soften.
- Add the garam masala, methi and cilantro. You may need to add water to get the perfect gravy thickness.
- Serve over rice or with naan or roti.