Mediterranean Bean Salad
I love this recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi's cookbook Jerusalem. If you don't have wax beans just double the amount of green beans. If you don't have chervil substitute with dill weed and parsley.
For 4 Person(s)
- 10 oz(s) Wax Beans, fresh and trimmed
- 10 oz(s) Green Beans, fresh and trimmed
- 2 ea Red Bell Pepper, sliced to 1/4
- 1 Tbsp(s) Olive Oil tossed with peppers
- 3 Tbsp(s) Olive Oil to saute garlic and spices
- 3 clove(s) Garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp(s) Capers, drained and patted dry (about 2.5 ozs by volume)
- 1 tsp(s) Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp(s) Coriander Seeds
- 4 stalk(s) Green Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup(s) Tarragon, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup(s) Chervil, fresh coarsely chopped
- 1 ea Lemon Zest, diced
- 1/4 tsp(s) Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp(s) Black Pepper, fresh ground
Mediterranean Bean Salad Directions
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the wax beans. After one minute add the green beans. Allow the beans to cook until heated through but still crunchy, about another 4 minutes.
- Mix the blanched beans to an ice water bath. Once they have cooled, remove them, pat dry and put in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss the peppers in 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Spread them on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and add to the bowl of beans.
- Heat 3 Tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute the garlic for about 20 seconds, add the capers and saute for another 15 seconds. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and continue to saute for another 15 seconds. Once the garlic has turned golden, remove from heat and pour over the bowl of beans and peppers.
- To the bowl add the green onions, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Toss everything together and refridgerate for up to a day or serve immediately.