Boneless chicken thighs marinated overnight and cooked with wonderful Indian spices. The traditional dish uses ghee instead of butter, but by substituting butter you reduce the fat content 6 grams. You can make the yogurt mix and the onion paste ahead of time.
For 4 Person(s)
- 2 Tbsp(s) Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp(s) Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp(s) Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp(s) Salt
- 1/2 tsp(s) Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp(s) Butter, unsalted
- 3 Chicken Thighs, boneless, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup(s) Fenugreek Leaves, chopped (kasoori methi)
- 1 cup(s) Water
- 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp(s) Water
- 1 cup(s) Yogurt, plain
- 1 pinch(es) Salt
- 1 pinch(es) Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp(s) Coriander Powder
- 1 smidgen Red Chili Powder
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 pod(s) Green Cadamom
- 1 pod(s) Black Cardamom
- 1 pinch(es) Mace
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Tbsp(s) Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp(s) Ginger Paste
- 4 Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 Green Chillies (mirch), finely chopped
Methi Chicken Directions
- Coat the chicken overnight in the marinade of garlic paste, ginger paste, salt, red chili powder and lemon juice.
- Soak the fenugreek leaves in one cup of water, set aside.
- Saute the onion in 2 Tbs of butter on low-medium (3 of 10) heat until dark golden brown and very soft, about 40 minutes. Remove the onions to a small bowl leaving the butter in the pan. Add a tablespoon of water to the onions and make a paste by mashing with a fork. Set onions aside. The base will be cooked in the left-over ghee later.
- Mix the yogurt with the salt, tumeric, coriander, and red chili powder. Set the yogurt mix aside.
- In the pan the onions were cooked in, add cinamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, mace, bay leaf and cloves. Add a little butter if needed. Saute on low-medium (4 of 10) until the spices start to release there aromas. Add the garlic and ginger paste. Continue to saute. Drain the fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) and add to the pan. Saute another 2 minutes until the fenugreek releases it's distinct aroma.
- Add the yogurt mix and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they release their oils.
- Add onion paste and green chillies. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the marinated chicken. Continue cooking until the chicken is done on low-medium (4 of 10) heat.
- Serve with crisp roti (bread) over rice.