This is a great all day slow-cooker recipe.
For 5 Person(s)
- 4 lb(s) Beef Roast
- 2 1/2 tsp(s) Salt
- 2 tsp(s) Black Pepper, ground
- Flour for coating roast
- 2 Tbsp(s) Olive Oil
- 4 medium Carrots, peeled and cut to 2" pieces
- 3 stalk(s) Celery, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 medium Onion, cut into 1/2" wedges
- 10 medium Red Potatoes, cubed
- 3 clove(s) Garlic, minced
- 8 oz(s) Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup(s) Red Wine
- 3 cup(s) Beef Broth, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp(s) Flour
- 4 leaves Bay Leaf
- 2 stick(s) Rosemary, fresh 6" long
- 4 stick(s) Thyme, fresh 6" long
Pot Roast Directions
- Coat the roast with a mix of salt and pepper. Coat the roast in a thin layer of flour. Heat oil in a large frying pan and sear each side of the roast. Place the roast in the slow-cooker.
- Add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic and potatoes to the slow cooker.
- Add another Tablespoon of oil to the frying pan. Add the tomato sauce and stir to deglaze the pan. Allow the tomato sauce to darken. Add the flour and red wine. Whisk until the gravy begins to thicken. Add the beef broth, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and bring up to a simmer, whisking regurarly. Allow the gravy to thicken slightly.
- Pour the gravy over the vegetables and roast.
- Set the slow cooker to medium and cook for 6-8 hours.