This is an easy recipe that turns out great every time. I stuffed one batch with cream cheese (112 grams), tomato (82 grams), red onion (40 grams), smoked salmon (34 grams) and capers (6 grams). You may want to replace 1 Tbsp of water with 1 Tbsp of lemon juice as a preservative or replace 3 Tbsp of sugar with 3 Tbsp of honey. You can also top the wet bagels with dried onion, sesame seed, poppy seed or course salt.
For 8 Person(s)
- 1/4 oz(s) Yeast, packet
- 3 Tbsp(s) Sugar
- 320 grams Water
- 660 grams Bread Flour
- 2 Tbsp(s) Olive Oil
- 1 tsp(s) Salt
- Water to boil Bagels
- 1/2 cup(s) Honey (optional)
Homemade Bagels Directions
- Proof the yeast with 100 grams of the water and 1 Tbsp of the sugar. Set aside and allow it to double.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, remaining 2 Tbsp of sugar, the proofed yeast mixture and the remaining 220 grams of water. Knead the dough about 8 minutes until the dough streaches without breaking.
- Place the dough ball in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Allow it to rise at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Begin boiling the water, add honey if you would like.
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Place the dough ball on the surface and punch down the dough. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and push your thumb thru the center to make a hole.
- If you are going to stuff the bagels, roll each piece until you have a 4" "pancake. Your stuffing needs to be frozen. Place the frozen stuffing in the middle and fold the side up and seal all the seams well.
- Drop each bagel or ball into the boiling water. Allow the bagel to float, then flip it and boil for another minute. Remove with a slotted spoon. If you are adding a topping dip the wet bagel into the topping. Place each bagel on a cooling rack with the topping up. Add salt if desired.
- Transfer the bagels to a baking sheet covered with a piece of parchment paper. Bake the bagels until they brown, about 15-20 minutes.